Wednesday, June 4, 2008

One Last Hurrah

Warning: Mom, I know you will not feel sorry for me and I do not expect you to. Other family and friends, I don't expect your sympathies either. Just sharing one of the events that has occurred in the last week. :)

So, last weekend was a big one. My last big one. Our superintendent had an end-of-year farewell party of sorts at his place, catered with food and stocked with the usual wine, beer and spirits. You may remember a previous posting in which there is usually a theme associated with his parties. This time, the theme was "K," but Cory and I revolted and just went as ourselves. The night was a blast with "k"aroake taking center stage.

Some highlights (or should I say lowlights?):
* smacking Cory's principal's buttocks with a "k"ricket bat (yes, I know cricket is spelled with a "c." Tell that to the people who dressed up as "k"rippled "k"ricketers (a diss on Toze who injured his shoulder playing the sport)
* jumping into the pool with Kristen towards the end of the night (and before that, me trying to persuade the boss to join us)
* singing karaoke with a group of friends who we have come to love and who we will miss incredibly next year
* receiving a ghastly blister burn on my left ankle after unsuspectingly leaning against a motorbike's exhaust pipe (I did not realize until it was too late that I was being burned)
* waking up at the Aylings with Casey beside me, then walking home to find a colleague in our guest room

It sounds quite bad, but it was one of the most fun nights we've had. And my last big night out for quite some time. I've even got the scar to prove it. Not that I'm bragging. Trust me, I know this has got to stop. I will now accept that a few glasses of wine or the occasional cocktail are just as much fun (if not more) than drinking beyond memory and incurring random injuries.

Some pics of the night (pre-pool and injury):








Getting a bit more toasty (and me getting pinched!) and singing the night away (and Cory getting licked!):








Post-pool (but still pre-injury). This, by, the way, is a typical thing that happens at the karaoke bar. It is simply inevitable to wind up on the table dancing and belting out the lyrics, which, no doubt, sound absolutely awful:

That one on the left there is Casey, my Grade Two program leader and often my partner in crime.

2 comments:

Kate said...

oh no, you can see it in the eyes..

Rae Ann said...

You're right Jona, don't feel sorry for you on the not feeling well afterwards but........ do feel very bad for you on the burn blister, I know that has to hurt! Yikes, should of had the nurse at school look at it for you, don't want it to get infected....... I know, I know, just mom speaking, what can I say! Glad you are coming home!