Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lack of Wisdom

Two events occurred on Friday with a lack of wisdom.

The first: that same man that basically lives on the C-5 that I wrote about in the last post was standing in the middle of the lane sniffing glue and looking like a madman as we drove to school. He was standing on the bend in the road so I literally almost hit him. I am scared for that guy. What to do?

The second: Cory finally arranged to have his two wisdom teeth pulled. He was not looking forward to it, of course. We found a good dentist, though, and it was just a matter of time. So, I went shopping at a Costco-type store while Cory was being operated on. I asked him to ask to be put under, but they said they prefer not to do that, only if the patient feels squeamish about these sorts of things. Well, next time, he'll say he's squeamish because he said getting just one of his teeth out (it took an hour and a half just to get one tooth out, so they left the other one for another day) was the most horrible experience of his life. Like being tortured. Poor guy's tooth was sitting on the nerve and every time the doctor would drill or saw or put any sort of pressure on the tooth, it would hit the nerve and he'd grip his belt tighter, sweating and feeling as if he were going to pass out. They had to remove the tooth in four parts! He said he's never been in so much pain in his life. I felt so bad for him. And the drugs they gave him were super weak. I told him that next time, he will DEMAND to be put under and DEMAND stronger drugs because that's just ridiculous. There's no reason why they can't.

Luckily, after I got him home and ran out to get his drugs and his ice cream and his tomato soup (which he had to eat cold because of his stitches), he told me to go to Wine Depot for the wine tasting event that I had signed up for and was supposed to meet Neil and Joanna for. So, I did. And then, Kristen and Dave picked Cory up and took him to Grappa's for a beer and I met them there and we drank a few to wash down the stress of the week and Cory's pain.

I won't even mention a new student I got this week. It is truly an unbelievable story. Nor will I mention this parent who cut me off on our way to school on Thursday - so close in fact, that she almost smashed into the side of our car. Then, I proceeded to stand up for myself and speak with her about the matter in the parking garage. Nor will I mention the mounting tension between two co-workers who are seriously going to brawl here in the next few weeks if someone doesn't teach them how to manage their anger towards each other. Phew. It has been one of those weeks.

Thank goodness for weekends!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Yikes, I feel really bad for Cory. I would have probabyl passed out, and then I would have been out anyway....
I'm glad you have a vacation coming. You need it!!

Rae Ann said...

Glad you are taking care of the corkster, that's good my dear, boy, do I worry about the driving in Manila, mostly when you are on the road! Be careful of that man!