1. an act or instance of traveling from one place to another; trip 2. chiefly dialect; a day's travel 3. something suggesting travel or passage from one place to another; "the journey from youth to maturity;" "a journey through time."
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Holiday Gathering
Last Saturday, Cory and I hosted a holiday party at our place. I think I was in need of doing something festive with close friends because I've been a wee bit homesick lately, to say the least. We baked ginger snaps, sugar cookies and mom's Swedish cream wafers. We made a pumpkin and an apple pie and Kate's chocolate-covered peanut butter balls (always a huge hit). We also had all the mixings for hot buttered rum, hot chocolate and coffee with Kahlua or Bailey's, mulled wine and lots of other red and white wine. I went out shopping before the festivities began at 7 and bought some more Christmas decorations: a tablecloth, a poinsettia, some more ornaments to put in bowls and some red and green towels. Cory and I moved the furniture around so everyone could sit comfortably. We lit the pine-smelling candle, the Christmas candle and the cinnamon sticks candle, plugged in the Christmas lights, turned on the holiday music and we were ready to go.
We had 16 people over for a chocolate-eating relay whereby you had to put on oven mitts and unwrap a candy bell, eat it and then run back and tag a team member; the revived game of spoons (Why haven't I played that since I was a little girl??? It's so much fun! And can get slightly violent! Guess who won a GAME? CORY!); some holiday-themed word games which were absolutely hysterical and had us in fits of laughter, doubled-over and falling off chairs, tears streaming down our faces, as well as a white elephant gift exchange. It was a naughty or nice exchange and some people definitely got the shaft with the gifts - a Jesus clock? a stuffed rat? grandma's dainty towels and washcloths? a Jesus statue? while others made out like bandits - a yummy smelling candle? a gift card for Fully Booked? a scenic calendar (with geology written all over it - guess who ended up with that?)? Hilarious.
It was a great night that didn't end until 2 in the morning. The evening reminded Cory and I how lucky we are to have such good friends here that really do become your family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Nice pictures Miss Jona-- it looks like everyone had a great time! We're' getting our tree set up this weekend!
I love the slide show with the snow! How fun and clever. Hope to see that picture of you and Cory on a Christmas card....hint....hint! Your place looks very festive, wish we could all be together..... next year we will be. But very happy that you have good friends to spend quality time with, that is so important. Merry Christmas, enjoy your holiday time off!
Post a Comment