Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Another Place, Another Time

In March, it was Reading Week in the middle school and ISM sponsored a writing competition for young adults and teachers. So, being the budding author that he is, Cory decided to submit a short story. The requirements were as follows:
1. The writing piece could be a poem or short story.
2. The text had to match the picture.
3. The text had to have the title, Another Place, Another Time.
4. The composition had to be 300 words or less.
5. The piece had to use the phrase, "If there was an answer, he'd find it there."

Here is Cory's entry:

Another Place, Another Time

Dear Callisto,

The good people I’ve managed to book passage with tell me that the Crystal City usually pierces the sky in dizzying and dazzling displays of reflecting light so bright it’s like staring into old Sol itself. So you can imagine my disappointment when I look upon the vague outline of the infamous city, only to lose it now and again in the distant fog, ebbing and flowing. An ominous vortex of bruise colored clouds swirling menacingly above does little to lift my spirits.

A warm rush of wind knocks me out of my morose reverie as the windcart gains speed. I secure my cap, slamming it low over my brow as I greedily suck in the fresh moisture-laden atmosphere; such a relief from the stale, recycled air of the domes.

Calli, do you remember that silly little poem, the one that Schoolmaster Gruden used to always make us recite? It seems so fitting now that I can’t shake it from my head:

Ho there! Ye adventurous spirit
Who hath journeyed so far betwixt the stars
Now can thee come close to discerning
What is so rightfully ours?

I steal a last glance towards the Crystal City as shafts of light beam down from the Heavens, basking it in a yellowish glow like a beacon signaling to me. My heart swells and I can’t shake the feeling that this has got to be the place! Then, just as suddenly as the storm breaking, a thought strikes me—L.L. Kortaine should have added a second stanza:

After many lands and solarscapes
Yonder did our intrepid explorer dare
For surely, if there was an answer
He’d find it there.

And that, my dear Calli, is just what I plan to do. Wish me luck!


Yours always,
Kyyrden


Cory won first place in the adult category. Although his prize was a 1000 peso ($20) gift card to Fully Booked, it was an accomplishment for him and I am very proud of his interest in writing and his ability to be so creative.

Post note: Cory told me to add that no, he was not the only applicant.

2 comments:

Larry and Amanda said...

Congratulations, Cory! You should post more stories for your avid fans and followers to read. Those were some mighty words!

Kate said...

WOW! That's great that Cory has offically been recognized as a wordsmith. Unofficially, we all knew Cory had a way with words. Congratulations Cory-- Well done! If he does more writing-- I'll definitely have to keep up and do more painting. I like that they gave you art to start from!