Remember these little complaints? Well, here's some good news.
1. Cory dropped our digital camera over October break. It still works, but has to be fixed because the LCD screen doesn't come on. The good thing is that we have found a reputable Canon shop here in Manila that can fix it. We shall see if that is true in the next 14 days. After 16 days, we learned the repair was going to cost almost as much as it would to buy a new camera. So, we bought a new camera. We'll have the old one fixed this summer for $50. New camera arrives February 20th ish.
2. Our Apple Macbook, the first laptop we've ever owned, and the one we've loved, used and abused, finally had enough. The really crappy part is that we were discussing how we needed to transfer all of our files over to an external hard drive and/or to our new iMac. We were literally just in the process of doing so when our laptop decided to take its last breath. The hard drive is completely useless. Our photos are gone. Our documents are gone. Our music is gone. And all of our piddly reminders for birthdays, anniversaries and addresses are gone. The good thing is that we can have the laptop sent away for someone to take out the hard drive and hopefully retrieve some of these things. The bad news is that it will cost us a pretty penny: about $500. We shall see what transpires in the next 14 days. After 4 days in the shop, the amazing folks at iStudio near our school were able to retrieve all of our documents, as well as ALL of our photos! Cost: $40. Another awesome thing: we can most likely buy a new hard drive this summer and the laptop will work like a charm again.
3. Our Manila vehicle needs new tires. And a new fan belt. And an overall complete tune-up. More money. In the next 14 days. Had a friend's driver take in the rig. We are now $400 poorer, but it turns out (and this is quite technical so pay attention) the power steering was leaking and causing lots of trouble. The good guys at some run-down auto shop in Manila cleaned it all out, replaced the parts and it's good as new. They also gave us an estimate for one other repair, but said we could wait until next month. So, March will see us another $600 in the hole for the car, but hey, these things happen and it could always be worse.
Yay!!!
In other news, I have been LOVING my Barre3 class. I think I'm starting to get stronger because I am not as sore after each session as I was in the beginning. However, we always try new and more difficult positions and it is EXTREMELY challenging for me to hold them for the set amount of time. I like going to class though because it makes me stay on top of my workout. No slacking allowed!
This weekend, Cory planned a date for us. This has not happened in a really long time. For the first time ever, we rode the LRT to the MRT downtown. That was an adventure in itself. When we reached our destination, we got some coffee and headed to the center where a 19-year old violinist played with an accompanying pianist. He was amazing. And a genius. This young Filipino, Joaquin, is currently studying high math, science and philosophy in Germany (on a full scholarship I presume). It was lovely to listen to him play and a very creative thing for Cory to do.
Also this weekend: We ate out at a new Japanese restaurant with some friends and I tried sushi for the first time in 3 years (thanks to a bout of food poisoning which sort of made me rethink the raw fish thing). We met some friends for lunch at a new diner-type place and then us ladies enjoyed the movie Dear John. We had heard it got rotten reviews so we went with very low expectations and were pleasantly surprised. I volunteered at the orphanage with some friends who were "practicing" holding babies, in preparation for their upcoming arrival. Cory enjoyed a football game and then watching the Superbowl at a local bar with some buddies.
A full weekend, but a refreshingly fun one.
1 comment:
That sounds much better! I'm glad you didn't lose all your photos and files! And your camera is fixed! Fantastic! I'm sorry about the car, very unfortunate. We're trying to hold of until spring to get something fixed on ours (necessary evil indeed). We're expected to get some more snow (12-18 inches more). I'm sure school will be back on by next Tuesday! (I'm so stir crazy)
Post a Comment