Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Funny

A funny thing happened today. And I was due for a laugh.

I was heading out to my usual Wednesday duty on the playground. As I walked to my "spot" by the swings, I realized I was walking alongside/in amongst a line of 4-year olds. As I was looking around the playground, enjoying some semi-fresh air (only because I'd been cooped up in my classroom all morning), I tuned into faint little sounds of, "Excuse me...umm...excuse me..." I had no idea that that voice was meant for me so I kept walking until I heard it again: a sweet, innocent, wee voice saying, "Hey, umm, excuse me." I finally turned around, looked down and realized that one 4-year old boy was looking directly at me. I smiled at him and replied, "Yes?" And he said...

"Umm, this is my place. You can't walk here."

I opened my mouth to speak, but realizing the absurdity of it, I promptly shut it, broke into a huge grin and started laughing hysterically. I quickly stepped out of line so not to disturb the perfectly straight pre-k's marching along to their next destination.

Of course I could not stand there. That was his place.

Oh, to be a 4-year old again and to view the world with such simplicity.

2 comments:

Amy and Del said...

That would be so great.. the simple life again and the joys of pure naiivety and immature ignorance..if that makes sense..

Kate said...

Oh my gosh--- it's kind of zen when you think about it. No past no future... just the present. Sorry I haven't written in a while! I will! I feel swamped at the moment!!!