Friday, December 3, 2010

Being a Teacher

Today was the kind of day where I think it's easier to be a great teacher than a not-so-good one. I am finally getting to the point, after eight years, in which I feel I am making a difference. I am making kids think. Hard. I am creating an enthusiasm for learning in them. I am sparking emotions and creativity. I am moving them to small bits of action. There is so much that comes from conversation, from emotional outbursts, from feedback giving and receiving, from a conference or an email with a parent, from a debriefing session with a child whose just broken down. Today was the kind of day that made me remember why I went into teaching in the first place. I LOVE these kids. Every single one of them. Even the one I didn't think I would "like" very much this year. Yes, we have our little issues, but it would be so much harder for me to be a crappy teacher than a good one because these kids make me WANT to work. They motivate me to become a better teacher and I think (and hope) that I motivate them to become better learners. It's all about growth and I am so very grateful when growth is realized, celebrated and continued. By me. By them. I think teaching is one of the most rewarding occupations I could have chosen. Today was the kind of day where I can say I'm proud to be a teacher, that I am good at what I do and that I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

4 comments:

STEPHANIE said...

Keep on keepin' on, sista

Tiffani said...

Amen... I think you should move to Texas so my kids can be in your class :) Love ya!

Rae Ann said...

I totally agree my dear, you are wonderful, but I already knew you were great, glad you are finally realizing it, love you and can't wait to see you really soon for the holidays!

Kate said...

You're awesome! You work hard, and it DOES pay off. It's a great feeling to love what you do. Especially when it comes to teaching! There should be more of you everywhere in the world!