In the first photo, Egyptians are supporting their team in the Africa Cup, of which we had the opportunity to attend while living in Cairo. I still remember the noise - it was thunderous and contagious and full of intense energy.

In the second photo, Egyptians are protesting against Mubarak's regime. I can only imagine what the noise level, the contagion and the energy feels like right now.
http://www.columnpk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/protest-in-egypt.jpgAs you know, Cairo was home for us for three years. We have very fond memories of living there and it's quite amazing what is taking place at the moment. I am stealing this idea from my friend Kate, who also lived in Egypt - linking this post to a video taken by a Maadi resident. It documents the goings-on in our former residential neighborhood of Degla. These people live just one street away from where we did and the Grand Mall was only a 5-minute walk from our flat. I must admit that I am thankful not to be there right now, but what a tremendous time for Egyptians: a time of strength and solidarity, a time of change and a time of hope. Although we no longer have any extremely close ties to Egypt in the way of dear friends still working there, we often think of the country and its people and all that we were fortunate enough to experience. I want very much for Egyptians to take back their country in peace, to have a voice that is heard and to make the best of this because they are a nation of people determined and deserving.
2 comments:
Couldn't agree more. Peaceful resolution needed. I'm closly watching what's happening in Jordan too. I think that Mubarak will step down, but there needs to be a plan for a proper election of who will lead next.
I totally agree Kate! It's hard to believe how close you all were to all this, it's history in the making, I really do hope for the peaceful resolution too but also have to say I'm glad you all are not there right now.
Post a Comment