A Category 2 typhoon rolled through Manila today. The high winds started at about 5am this morning and continued well into the afternoon. We lost power and it was just restored several minutes ago. It rained heavily all day and there was massive flooding reported throughout the island of Luzon. We are all safe, in our Makati bubble, and when I say we, I am referring to the expats and fortunates who can afford decent shelter. Thousands of other Filipinos feared for their lives throughout last night and today and many surely lost everything they own. While school was cancelled for us and teachers and students celebrated their day off, I couldn't help but think of all the people who would be cursing the weather and how it has and how it will affect their lives. It is all very strange to be living so decently amid so much poverty. And anyone who comes to Manila and does not see the ridiculous inequality is blind.
Thanks to those who thought of us today. Please also give a thought to the strangers in Luzon who could use your positive sentiments. It is hard to know what to do in situations like these.
1 comment:
Wow, I was thinking about you guys... I'm glad you guys are ok, but it must have been such a scary and huge hardship for those who aren't as fortunate. Stay safe.
Post a Comment