Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sometimes

Sometimes the best days (or the really, really good ones at least) are the most unexpected ones.

Today could have been terrible.

But it wasn't.

It could have gone like this:
Take a day off work to deal with the lack of proactiveness by our adoption attorneys and our over-stressed selves concerning whether or not we'll get to go home this summer. Head to Office A to be told that there is no possible way to release our documents until said release date of April 10. Forgo all other trips to Offices B and C to sort out paperwork for expedited birth certificates. No passport til May. No visa appointment til May or June. No possibility of going home for summer. Go home. Be miserable. Make up an excuse not to play with Ace so I can feel sorry for myself and "finish packing" for our trip to the rice terraces. Share miserable news with Cory. Shed tears. Drink a beer and wallow in sorrow. Cancel my involvement in Book Club for the fifth time this year. Feign enthusiasm for momma's late arrival. Go to bed depressed.

But it didn't.

Instead, it went like this:
Take a day off work to deal with the lack of proactiveness by our adoption attorneys, only to have them congratulate us on our approach by the end of the day. Head to Office A where the man I spoke on the phone with yesterday calmed my shaking hands and trembled speech by proudly exclaiming that they would release our documents today. Head to Office B where I made payment and spoke to a woman who gave me a contact for Office C, to expedite official birth certificates. Head to Office C where I spoke to a woman who made it all happen. The final paperwork needed to secure Aiston's passport will be available for pick-up on April 5. Hugely important. Passport can be achieved in mid-April. Visa appointment can be scheduled in April. Flights can be booked. And we can go home for summer. Go home relieved and with renewed faith in the Philippines. It just took some grit and personal appearances. Be happy. Enjoy playing "pretend" with Ace; listen to him; hear him and be thankful for all that he is. Finish packing for our trip to the rice terraces while Ace goes to the park with Ate. Share happy news with Cory. Beam smiles. Drink a beer in celebration. Go willingly to Book Club for the first time this school year and regret missing all the previous ones. Hug momma with the tightest squeeze possible when she arrives late. Go to bed in peace.

Today was not expected. And it could have been terrible. But it wasn't. Today was a really, really good day. 

3 comments:

Tiffani said...

How awesome is that! So excited for you guys! Shoug... Get ready for the Patterson's...all 3 of them!

Mombomb/Gramlola said...

I'm more than excited, what better news is that to read about blurry eyed and pooped out this morning after arriving late last night to Manila, couldn't ask for better news....... I just knew it would take some face to face contact to get this hopping, we will have fun at the rice terraces this spring break and then you will hopefully be able to do all your other trips these next couple of years......... I'm so happy! And what better for me to see Ace this morning, have big squeezes and hugs and yak, yak, yak, like I've never been gone, I love that little guy so much! And I love you two also......

Kate said...

WOW! That's great news! I'm so excited for you guys!!! CELEBRATE big time! It's been long time coming.