Thursday, December 13, 2007

Tis the Season

Ahh . . . the holiday season. The time of year when most normal occupants of the world begin scouring the malls for gifts, baking cookies, picking out and decorating trees, planning family gatherings and getting everything organized for the season's festivities. For us here in Manila, Christmas this year is a holiday to be celebrated by dressing up and attending a bash at the Superintendent's house. And getting sloshed. As is the custom, Mr. T. hosts a holiday bash for his teachers and, as is also the custom, the teachers agree on a theme, unbeknownst to Mr. T., to come dressed as at the party. This year, the theme was appropriately a "T" party. So, as you may have guessed, we had quite the array of costumes: tennis players, tourists, trendsetters, turquoise tarts (and not the kind you eat), tabloids, togas, toddlers and transvestites, among others. We even played a game of Twister and in one photo, I quickly ended a game by hip-checking the other players. The drinks were flowing and fun was had by all. Three of us even bounced on a trampoline. We topped off the night at a karaoke bar, as is the tradition here in the Philippines (or most of Asia, it seems).






Also enjoyed a staff holiday party hosted by Neil and Sebbie, sometimes mc-ing in dresses and other times in t-shirts with each others' dorky pictures on their backs. There was trivia and wine, there were prizes and laughs. And some dancing. It was wonderful to celebrate with everyone.

A wee bit of a revelation about Christmas cards this year: I realized that all the people I send homemade cards to already know where we've been on vacation during the year, that we've moved and are teaching at a different school, that life has been insanely busy and that we are adjusting. I realized that there are only a select few who don't know these things and they are the only ones I should have sent the updates to. Well . . . sorry to those expecting a bit more. In my defense, the Chrismtas spirit has been a bit dashed by all the craziness that is life. Next year will be different, I promise.

Off to Australia tomorrow. It couldn't come at a better time.

4 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Another crazy evening and you all look so lovely....... sounds like lots of fun!

Kate said...

Nice Nails Cory!!!

Jeremy said...

I always wondered what it would be like to have a sister. Thanks, Cory, now I know!

Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.