Saturday, February 14, 2009

Warning: Driving Here is Dangerous

I will probably say this no matter which country we are living in (because Lord knows you've heard me complain about this in Egypt), but seriously, I think Filipinos are THE worst drivers on the face of this planet. On Thursday, we were driving on a major three-lane highway when we noticed some traffic. Big surprise. But, it wasn't traffic. It was actually people who had PARKED and LEFT their vehicles. In TWO of the three lanes!!! And in the third lane, people were actually TRYING to park! I could not believe it! They would have selfishly and completely blocked off the entire highway. I honked the longest amount of time I think I've ever honked at some bozo trying to park in the third lane. And then today, I was in the correct lane to go straight and one car from the right and one car from the left proceeded to cut in front of me to go straight, all because they didn't want to wait the extra two seconds they would have had to wait to fall in line like everyone else. These are just two measly examples. And I say measly because most of the other incidents have been far more preposterous than these. I'm telling you, it is UNREAL the way people drive here. Like they are the only ones on the road. Stupid, stupid, stupid. We have almost been hit nearly a hundred times and that is no exaggeration.In fact, the only reason we haven't been hit is because we've actually been watching out for other drivers. You have to be that careful. All the time. One could honestly lose control here and develop a serious case of road rage if they weren't careful. Truthfully, that is exactly why some expats refuse to drive here - they know they will get too upset to handle it. Thankfully, I have been able to handle it so far. But, not without my complaints. :)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Ugh, that sounds deadly! I almost got t-boned yesterday because a lady ran an extremely red light. But I have no doubt there are crazy driver in Manila! Be careful out there!

By the way-- Happy heart day! Hope your day is filled with smiles! --not road rage.