Dear Person Who Left a Shit in the Toilet at Work:
Thank you so much for your generosity. I just love looking into the toilet bowl when I enter a bathroom stall to relieve myself, only to see a huge brown turd staring right back at me. Besides the attractiveness, I also appreciate the smell. I find it refreshing when people do not bother to flush the toilet because I truly love seeing the masterpieces that get shat out of their arses. The variety in size, shape and smell is truly magnificent.
Sincerely,
Me
-and-
Dear Driver,
Thank you for deliberately cutting me off, in plain view of others, in the parking lot of Market! Market! the other day. I love it when I have places to go and things to do and am patiently waiting my turn and then a courteous driver pulls up on my left, acting as if to park, only to swerve in front of me to gain an extra space in the cue. I find it incredibly selfless of people like you to put yourself first, to share your kind spirit, especially at this time of year. I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for setting such a wonderful example for others who are part of the driving culture here in Manila. Have a blessed day.
Sincerely,
Me
I am terrible, I know.
Here are some of my thoughts just after Thanksgiving (and no, they are not connected):
Although I am deeply aware of the poverty that exists in the Philippines and I see it every day, it became glaringly obvious of what to be thankful for this year. After Typhoon Yolanda decimated homes and uprooted over 11 million people from the lives they once knew, I was struck by the sheer ABUNDANCE we have of everything in our lives, but particularly food. When I think of how much we spend on food each week, and on the choices we have to select a wide variety of foods from all the food groups and from sources which provide organic options, it makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach. When I put it into perspective, I realize that we spend more on food in one week than a full-time caregiver often makes in one month. There is something inherently wrong with that. And yet, we continue to spend it on food, eat most of it, compost some of it and waste a bit of it. I am more than grateful that I have food options; that I can choose to eat organically, locally and vegetarian-ly. I am one of the lucky ones who is food-secure. And I am incredibly thankful for that.
Thanksgiving 2013
Two gatherings, different groups of people, and deliciously filling food


2 comments:
Have you ever seen Jimmy Fallon's "Thank you notes". They're hilarious. Kinda reminds me of this post.
Time of year for thankfulness, no matter what, we are a family that has many blessings and personally I am blessed.
Post a Comment